Thursday, January 14, 2010

Another field trip



I had always wanted to go on some "field trips." Exploring places I had heard about but never been to. Suzy and Tommy are willing participants, so, we decided to go to the Spur Cross Conservation area. This is about two hours north of me. I had heard that it was very pretty up there.

"The bus" picked up Tommy and Suzie at 9am and we were off on out adventure. It took us two hours to get there, but it was worth the drive. It was very pretty. This was part of the county park system, so my annual parks pass was good here too. It was a Tuesday, and a beautiful day. We were the only trailer there. Hmmm. wonder why.

It didn't take us long to figure out why. Two words. Rocky and elevation gain. Ok, that was three words. We started out on the trail and almost immediately had a water crossing. Santana thought it might be easier to drink the level of the water down first, then cross. We crossed the creek, and then started a very long, steep, rocky ascent. The horses were working hard, and I wished I had put boots on Santana. I mean, I know he has great feet, but this was ridiculous. Once we climbed that. There was another ascent. and another, and another. The view was gorgeous. The horses were huffing and puffing. We had a map of the trails with us, and headed for a loop marked for horses. We started down it, but decided to turn around shortly into it. It was really only suitable for hikers, and maybe mules. Tommy wasn't used to this kind of thing, and I was worried about Punkalicious's feet. The way back was a little easier as it was almost all downhill. But still rocky, and loose rocks at that. We rode for a total of about two hours before getting back to the trailer. With a two hour ride home, and wanting to avoid rush hour traffic, it was a full day.

No comments:

Post a Comment