Monday, February 8, 2010

ya gotta get back on that horse!


Sooooo. I had optimistic hopes for getting back on Santana last Friday, which ws three days after my "unplanned planned dismount." I still ached a bunch, but figured I could ride.

Then I remembered that i destroyed my helmet, and that I needed to replace it first. So, i had to drive almost an hour each way to go do that. Well worth the trip, but with work and all, it meant I would n't ride until today.

Vickey and Dakota were waiting at "the bus stop" at 9:30 and Santana and I picked them up and headed to the mountain. Once there, we ran into a couple friends who, had started out, but saw us pull in and came back for us. One gal was riding a very green and slightly nervous horse.

I was a little nervous getting back on Santana after my wreck. I mean, did he remember all the bucking and that I came off, and would he decide that if he didn't want to do something I asked of him, he could just buck and get me off??? I was still WAY too sore to hit the ground again. All these little things were running through my mind. The little green horses running up behind us, which bothered Santana, was really bothering me. I wasn't breathing right, ect. I finally asked them to head away, which they were going to do anyway. Another day, ANY other day, and I would have been fine with them and he green horse, just not TODAY.

Vickey and I continued on a very short loop, and I quickly settled down. Santana was his usual super calm self again, and I felt better about the overall situation, and most of my confidence had been restored. Vickey says she seriously doubts that he even remembers bucking, or anything that happened that day he got attacked by cholla, it al happened SO fast.

I got that ride out of the way, which I needed mentally, to assure myself that this hadn't turned my calm, wonderful boy into some kind of crazed man-killing horse maniac. I am ready to go again, or will be when all the pain in my hip and elbow are gone. Both are still quite swollen. That won't keep me off the trails though.....

1 comment:

  1. Wow, sounds kinda painful, but good job on getting back on agin, I woulda prolly waited till I healed a little more. Santana sounds like he handled it okay though.

    ReplyDelete